Ladykirk Parish Church            Ladykirk    


Ladykirk Parish Church
Ladykirk
TD15 1XL

There are no services at the present time.


Ladykirk  was  founded  on  the  instructions  of  King  James  IV,  who  nearly  drowned  in  the  river  Tweed  nearby  and  had  the  Church  built  in  thanksgiving  that  he  had  survived.  He  specified  that  the  Church  should  not  be  capable  of  being  destroyed  either  by  fire  or  flood  and  so  the  roof  has  been  built  in  stone.  It  is  believed  to  be  the  only  original  early  16th  century  roof  in  Scotland  which  is  still  intact.  Mary,  Queen  of  Scots  held  a  Cabinet  meeting  in  Ladykirk  and  the  final  Peace  Treaty  between  Scotland  and  England  was  signed  in  the  Church  in  1559.
 
There  have  been  no  regular  Sunday  Services  in  Ladykirk  since  August  2016.  The  Church  of  Scotland  has  renovated  the  roof  and  one  of  the  main  stained  glass  windows  in  the  chancel  area,  and  installed  a  new  boiler  with  a  view  to  handing  Ladykirk  over  to  a  new  owner  or  Trust  in  good  condition.
At  present  the  building  is  in  the  care  of  the  Church  of  Scotland  General  Trustees.